St. Pius X Parish was founded on March 20, 1955 and named by Bishop Metzger in honor of St. Pius X who as Pope established the Diocese of El Paso. The parish first built a Catholic school where Mass was celebrated in the gym.
On June 26, 1993, the community built the present beautiful church facility with a capacity for 1,000 worshippers. The parish today includes the church, community center, ministry center, bookstore, plaza, food pantry, and three parking lots.
In June 2014 Rev. Wilson Cuevas was assigned pastor of St. Pius X by Bishop Mark J. Seitz. Presently St. Pius X Catholic Parish has more than 69 ministries serving the People of God.
The Diocese of El Paso was established by Pope St. Pius X in 1914.
Parish was named St. Pius X because he was the Pope who established the Diocese.
Most Rev. Sidney M. Metzger, D.D. was Bishop of El Paso when the parish first built a Catholic school where Mass was celebrated in the gym in 1955.
Msgr. Lawrence E. Gaynor was First Pastor at St. Pius X.
The Parish and School were erected to meet the needs of a fast growing city area: Tejas, Cielo Vista, Valley View, Del Mesa, Mesa Terrace, Van Horne Park, Zia Village, Foster Heights, and part of the Loretto additions.
Later, served th Scotsdale, Eastwood, Parkdale, Desert Ridge aditions.
The Parish Ministry Council chose the theme “Communion and Mission” to describe the Parish Life and mission.
Cost of the new Parish and School: $350,000 in 1954.
Dedication and blessing of St. Pius School took place on November 16, 1955. His excellency Sidney M. Metzger officiating.
First graduation class in 1957.
Gave birth to the St. Raphael Mission in October 1966.
On June 26, 1993, the community built the present church facility.
The church sanctuary facility is shaped in cruciform, with the altar at the heart of the church, and the separate Blessed Sacrament reservation chapel located at the head of the church.
The parish today includes the church, community center, ministry center, bookstore, plaza, food pantry, and three parking lots.
St. Pius X School, with 400 students, is one of the premier Catholic schools in El Paso.
The architectural design follows the Vatican II norms for church buildings, the religious history and culture of the border Catholic Southwest, and the pastoral needs of the parish community.
The religious art in the church and in the other facilities highlight the rich Catholic tradition of the peoples in the Americas.
The 42 stained glass windows in the church, for example, focus on North, South and Central American saints like St. Martin de Porras, St. Juan Diego, St. Elizabeth Seton, St. Miguel Pro, and St. Kateri Tekakwitha.
The first parish assembly was held in 1990 to develop a long-term pastoral plan.
The annual city-wide César Chávez Memorial Mass is held each March at St. Pius X in conjunction with the Centro de Trabajadores Migrantes
The book Excellent Catholic Parishes (2001 by Paulist Press) featured St. Pius X on its top ten list of excellent parishes in the United States.
Community with a Mission
The parish logo illustrates the theme of Community with a Mission.
Jesus is at the center of the altar table with one hand welcoming all to the community around the table and with the other arm outstretched sending the community forth on its mission of fostering the reign of God.
The diversity of people gathered around the table come from all walks of life and cultures.
Foundation of East Side churches
The establishment of Catholic churches on El Paso’s East Side began with St. Pius X Parish, which was founded in March 1955 and named in honor of the Pope, who established the Diocese of El Paso.
Religious services were initially held in the gymnasium until St. Pius X Church was completed in 1993.
In 1966, St. Raphael Church was established as a mission of St. Pius X and made a parish a year later in August 1967. The church was completed in 1979. The St. Raphael Women’s Guild, formed in March 1969, donated the hand-carved wooden statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary that adorns the inside of the church.
Blessed Sacrament Chapel
On Holy Thursday 1955, a church full of parishioners including Bishop Metzger witnessed the apparition of the face of St. Pius on the tabernacle veil.
The framed veil cloth now hangs in the Blessed Sacrament Chapel.